July 8, 2017
8am - 1:30pm
International Save the Vaquita Day
What’s a vaquita you ask? It’s the world’s most endangered marine animal, a tiny little porpoise that lives in the Gulf of California, Mexico. Why join the quest to save them? There are only 30 LEFT IN THE WORLD!!! Without our immediate help, they will go extinct on our watch…disappear from the earth forever! Sometimes called the Panda of the Sea, the vaquita are being illegally trapped in gillnets to the point of extinction. You can help by joining The Living Desert bring attention and awareness to their plight!
July 8th Activities at the Zoo:
• Free Screening(s) of Vermillion of the Sea; a 30 minute documentary about the vaquita’s
plight and the local fisherman and Mexican government officials who are trying to help save
• Mexican Food specials throughout the day in our Café and Grill.
• Margaritas for Vaquitas served in a Living Desert logo’d hurricane souvenir cup throughout
the day in our Café, Grill, and Churro Factory. 50% of the proceeds to go to VaquitaCPR.
• Ocean Blue Icees Special for Kids served in a Living Desert logo’d hurricane glass throughout
the day in our Café, Grill and Churro Factory. 50% of the proceeds to go to VaquitaCPR.
• #Pied4aporpoise station at our Discovery Center
• Vaquita interpretive station at our Discovery Center
• Vaquita Adopt Station at our Discovery Center
• Seafood Watch station at our Discovery Center
• Vaquita take-away cards at our Discovery Center
• Pledge Letter/Sign for all guests to sign at our Discovery Center
Margaritas for Vaquitas
Fresh Agave has partnered with The Living Desert Zoo & Gardens to support conservation efforts to save the vaquita porpoise!
On Saturday, July 8th, and every Monday through Thursday until August 10, Fresh Agave will be donating a percentage of proceeds to vaquita conservation efforts. Purchases will support helping to save the last vaquita. Please help to save a species and join us in conservation #4aPorpoise.