2012 - 2013 Season
Go Native Day
November 10, 2012
7am - 4pm
The Living Desert
This event will celebrate and honor Coachella Valley's native flora, fauna, geology and cultural history. Focusing on Coachella Valley natives is an everyday happening at The Living Desert, but this event brings a special focus, and we believe this is the perfect time to take an extra step towards raising an awareness to help protect, conserve, educate and honor our essential and unique Coachella Valley natives.
Activities for the day include: Cahuilla Bird Singers, early morning bird walk, Harry Quinn presents, "Geology of the Coachella Valley", Wildlife Wonders presents a special animal show exhibiting only Coachella Valley wildlife, Ethnobotany walk with Jennifer Purcell, Wildflower Slide Show with Kirk Anderson, Propagating Native Plants with Bob Linstead, Free 1 gallon native plant (1 per family), Face Painting, Kid's Corner with coloring, drawing, and brass rubbings of CV native flora and fauna, Interpretive Walk in our new Native Bee Garden and in our Fanciful Flyers Butterflies and Hummingbird Garden, book signing with desert naturalist and author Jim Cornett, and additional discounts for our military and so much more.
"Go Native Day" will feature activities for both children and adults. Special happenings are:
- Free 1 gallon native plant (one per family) in the Palo Verde Garden Center
- 7:00 am - Early morning bird walk with Peter Siminski, Director of Conservation and Education at The Living Desert and Judi Green, Volunteer Program Manager at The Living Desert
- 9:30 - 10:00 am - Cahuilla bird singers
- 10:00 am - 1:00 pm - Book signing with desert naturalist and author Jim Cornett in the main gift shop
- 10:15 - 10:45 am- A unique presentation "Geology of the Coachella Valley" by Harry Quinn, Geologist, Archaeologist, Paleontologist and Historian
- 11:00 - 11:30 am - Special themed Wildlife Wonders Show
- 1:00 - 1:30 pm - Ethnobotanical Walk with Jennifer Purcell, Botanical Garden Registrar at The Living Desert
- 1:45 - 2:15 pm - Wildflower Slide Show with Kirk Anderson, Curator of Gardens at The Living Desert
- 2:30 - 3:00 pm - Propagating Native Plants with Bob Linstead, Plant Propagator, The Living Desert
- Face painting
- Kid's Corner with coloring, drawing and brass rubbings of native flora and fauna
This special event is free with paid admission to the park.
For more information, visit www.LivingDesert.org or call 760-346-5694.