THE LIVING DESERT
Job Title: Grant Writer
Exemption: Non-exempt; hourly; part-time (Position could work into full time)
Level of Authority: Reports to Director of Development
Position Summary: Identify, develop and cultivate funding sources to support existing and planned program activities as well as coordinate and implement the development, writing, and submission of grant proposals to third-party entities. The position is also responsible for collecting, analyzing, evaluating, and reporting data on the performance of program activities that are funded by third-party public and private sources. Reports directly to the Director of Development and works closely with TLD leadership.
- Grant Writing
- Completes and submits existing grants in a timely manner.
- Researches past TLD grant requests and contacts funders for current opportunities.
- Researches and identifies new government, corporate, foundations and private funding sources.
- Generates proposals and supporting documents in response to funding opportunities.
- Communicates regularly with staff across the organization to determine priorities for solicitation, including unrestricted support for general operating needs and grants for specific TLD programs and activities.
- Prepare proposal narrative and budget figures in a timely manner.
- Maintains and implements grant-funding calendar activities, including grant due dates, program reporting requirements.
- Maintain thorough computer records and paper files of all contact with funding organizations.
- Prepare monthly progress reports on grants received, pending and to be submitted (for Board reports due generally the week before the 4th Friday)
- Participate in preparation of the TLD budget by projecting funding levels from organizations for the coming year.
- Writes reports to government, corporate, foundations and other funders.
- Acts as liaison with program staff in TLD departments for grant writing requirements, information, statistics, etc.
- Identifies funding opportunities and new program areas to match TLD priorities, using research tools.
- Engages and develops relationships with program officers at funding organizations to submit proposals.
- Develop a private foundation and corporate recognition program.
- Special projects as needed.
Specific Skills: Budget preparation; succinct style of writing required for grant writing; database experience (DonorPerfect preferred).
Qualifications: Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing and computer skills (Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint and Excel), and database management skills. The position requires an excellent command of the English language with ability to successfully write, edit and proofread proposals, correspondence, narrative and financial reports and other pertinent documents. Also necessary is excellent verbal communication and personal relations skills, over the phone and in person.
Physical Requirements: Ability to lift 20 pounds is necessary for moving materials and equipment; ability to stoop and kneel is necessary for accessing files; necessary vision/sight to read computer monitors.
To apply for this position please contact Jan Hawkins at 760-346-5694 ext. 2161 or firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2017 or until position is filled.