The Safety Manager is focused on designing, implementing and maintaining the safety management processes for the organization. This includes policy and program development, a risk management plan, employee training programs, process review, inspections, and compliance issues for the organization. This individual is responsible to promote safety in every department throughout the organization and must work in a positive, productive manner with department managers to this end. This individual will apply proven communication, analytical and leadership skills to maximize safety and minimize loss for the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Creates and administers all safety compliance programs and required policies and procedures for the organization and keeps the organization in compliance.
· Is responsible for the safety training for every new employee during Orientation.
· Works with department managers to develop, implement, and maintain safe operating policies
and creates and assures department specific training is being done for every employee.
· Creates and administers ongoing required training for all employees throughout the year
· Keeps the organization in compliance with federal, state and local regulations including operating procedures, OSHA, and other regulatory standards, regulations and requirements
· Conducts routine and follow-up safety and hazard inspections of Park facilities
· Leads organization wide safety committee to meet result-oriented goals and objectives.
· Conducts regular inventory and keeps up to date all MSDS Right To Know Centers on grounds.
· Leads, trains, and schedules First Aid Team (Med Cart) for the organization.
· Conducts all new employee safety training on Golf Carts.
· Acts as the Safety Coordinator for the organization.
· Investigates and follows up on any Unsafe Condition Report received.
· Conducts hazard assessment inspections on buildings and grounds as prescribed in the Injury and Illness Prevention Policy (IIPP) and follows up with hazard assessment and corrections records if needed.
· Trains and monitors compliance for all toxic/hazardous materials and their proper disposal.
· Assures the organization has in place training and procedures for zoonotic diseases.
· Assures that all firearms are held in a secure, locked place and provide appropriate training and certification for staff who handle them.
· Oversees and keeps operational all fire extinguishers, exit signs, etc. on grounds
· Keeps the organization current and compliant with all aspects of safety required for health emergencies, high heat, fire, disaster, earthquake, animal escapes, etc. Assures that emergency drills are conducted and maintains records for such drills.
· Works with Human Resources Department to ensure workers’ compensation compliance and provides investigative resource for incident reporting and other investigative needs.
· Performs other duties as assigned and adheres to all policies and procedures of The Living Desert.
· Must be able to operate a variety of machines and equipment including computer, golf cart, radio, telephone
· Should be familiar with the operation of carousel, small restraint and capture devices, gardening/carpentry tools and machinery, equipment, scales, etc.
· Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
· Ability to gather data, compile information, write policies, programs, training materials, prepare reports
· Knowledge and skill in performing safety inspections and ensuring compliance with all federal and state regulations and safety standards.
· Ability to make sound and safe decisions in a manner consistent w/the essential functions of the job.
· Ability to work effectively and productively w/management and staff.
Conditions of Work:
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work; must be able to remain on feet for periods of time, stoop, crawl, kneel, crouch, push, pull, balance, climb
Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 25 pounds frequently and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Work involves moderate exposure to elements, such as extreme temperature, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require basic safety precautions.
HOLIDAY/EVENING WORK: Must be available to work if needed.
TRAVEL: Travel will be required for picking up supplies and educational seminars and training.
Active certifications in Safety or Risk management may be required. Any credentials required that might be related to the duties and responsibilities specified in this job description.
Please send resumes to HR@livingdesert.org