Custodial Services Worker - Nights
Job Title: Custodian
Department: Custodial Services
Reports to: Custodial Services Manager, Custodial Services Supervisor in Manager’s absence.
Performs general cleaning of the facilities as determined by the Custodial Services Manager, opens and closes the park.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs daily cleaning routine including hosing outside walkways and patios, cleaning exhibit and building glass, emptying trash, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, etc.
- Cleans areas before and after special events, parties and other activities.
- Sets up tables, chairs, tents, stages or other equipment for special events, parties or other activities.
- Maintains work areas involving general cleaning duties.
- Maintains a safe and productive workplace for visitors and staff.
- Deals courteously and effectively with the public at all times and represents the institution at the highest level of professionalism.
- Establishes and maintains effective and professional working relations with co-workers and other departmental personnel, and to do so in accordance with the Living Desert Employee Handbook.
- Provides assistance to other departments as needed.
- Other related responsibilities as necessary to accomplish departmental objectives.
- Contributes to desert conservation through reduction of waste, water and energy use, and inspiring guests and team members to take conservation actions.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods, equipment and safe use of cleaning agents used in the upkeep of the park facilities.
- Good observation skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be motivated and self-starter who needs minimal supervision on designated tasks.
- Ability to communicate and work with others in a team setting.
- Good leadership and communication skills.
- Experience in the operation of cleaning equipment and the safe use of cleaning agents used in modern janitorial care.
- Experience in minor building maintenance.
EDUCATION AND PRE-REQUISITES
Must be energetic, dependable and motivated. Minimum 1 (one) year experience on custodial services or similar position.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: High School or equivalent.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Must have essential physical and mental capabilities in the following: interpersonal skills, attention to detail, follow directions, organizing.
OTHER: Must possess a valid CA Driver’s License.
CONDITIONS OF WORK
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL TASKS: Position requires significant periods of walking,
standing, bending, twisting, climbing, crawling, kneeling, reaching motions, must be able to lift of 50 + lbs.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Position requires to work indoors and outdoors, occasional exposure to extreme heat.
HOLIDAY/EVENING WORK: Some holiday, weekend and evening work will be required.
TRAVEL: Not required.
Telephone, two-way radios, electric and gas golf cart, vehicles, housekeeping and cleaning equipment such as vacuums, broom, mop, carpet cleaning equipment, pressure washer, leaf blower, cleaning agents, miscellaneous hand tools.
This class specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The employee may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.