Events Coordinator – Full Time
Date Posted: Friday, September 24, 2021
Position Closes: Until filled
Are you inspired to be part of an organization committed to conserving desert plants and animals around the globe? The Living Desert is a mission-based, non-profit desert conservation organization located in the bio-diverse Coachella Valley California. Our expertise is in desert species care and conservation science to save desert species from extinction. Our commitment to provide guests to The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens opportunities to educate and engage with best-in-class conservation work and how that work is changing outcomes for desert species every day.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Events Coordinator will support The Living Desert’s mission of desert conservation through preservation, education, and appreciation by coordinating public and private events that enlighten the guest to our beautiful park and the important work we do.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
Reporting to the Director of Park Services and Guest Relations, The Events Coordinator is the acting liaison to The Living Deserts outside event vendors (SSA). The Event Coordinator will communicate event details, needs and projected revenue to upper management. Additionally, responsible for the management of all on-grounds promotional events and off-site events. Overall coordination of master calendar updating as it pertains to private and promotional events
· Create and develop new and innovative public events support the TLD mission and help drive park attendance.
· Work closely with the TLD Marketing Department ensure strong event communication to the general public.
· Be the main facilitator and point of contact for all special and promotional events.
· Have the ability to develop and maintain a departmental financial budget.
· Communicate all event related detail to all TLD staff including run of show, master calendar and coordination of internal staffing needs.
· With the Director of Park Services, plan and coordinate all elements of promotional events including timeline, layout, setup, staffing needs and breakdown.
· Ensure complete, timely and accurate communication of private events and promotional event days to the appropriate departments, staff, and vendors.
· Evaluate each promotional event and create ways to enhance the experience and maximize the ROI.
· Preform a cost and revenue analysis for each Promotional event.
· Maintain a safe and productive workplace for visitors and staff
· Able to deal courteously and effectively with the public at all times, and to represent the institution at the highest standard of professionalism.
· Able to establish and maintain effective and professional working relations with co-workers and other department personnel, and to do so in accordance with The Living Desert Employee Handbook.
· Provide assistance to other departments as needed.
· Contribute to desert conservation through reduction of waste, water and energy use, and inspiring guests and team members to take conservation actions.
· Other related responsibilities as necessary to accomplish department objectives.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The Living Desert is seeking candidates with an outgoing, creative, confident, self-motivated team player who is willing to make a significant commitment to the organization. We are looking for individuals with enthusiasm, strong guest engagement skills, energetic presence, and the ability to work in a fast-paced labor-intensive environment. They must value fun and have prior experience coordinating special events.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
· Bachelor’s degree preferred.
· Minimum three to five years’ experience in event planning, coordination, and management required
· Ability to support an outside vendor (SSA)
· Extensive knowledge of event planning, procedures and policies
· Ability to work well with volunteers, vendors and the public
· Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and nights
· Ability to respond and handle problems in a positive and service-oriented attitude
· Ability to coordinate several activities at the same time
· Ability to manage an established budget
· Above average organizational skills and detail oriented
· Ability to give and comprehend written and oral instructions, and to accurately carry out such instructions
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
· Ability to form professional networking relationships with other institutions and companies
· Must be a motivated self-starter who needs minimal supervision
· Ability to make independent decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures
· Strong personnel management skills
· Must have strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
· Ability to work with others in a team setting
· Must hold a valid California driver license and be insurable on The Living Desert’s automobile policy
· Occasional standing, walking, twisting, climbing, crawling, kneeling, reaching motions, some lifting (up to 50 lbs.)
· Occasional exposure to extreme heat and cold, chemicals, and dust/airborne materials
· Holiday, evening, weekend work required. Available on as needed basis for emergencies and events
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
· Medical, dental, vision, life, and short-term disability insurance
· Employee Assistance Program
· Family membership to The Living Desert
· Retail and food and beverage discounts
· Conference and workshop attendance available. If funding is available, some or all expenses paid.
· Duration: Year Round
· Positions available: 1
· Pay: $20.00/hr