Guest Services Associate – Seasonal
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2021
Position Closes: Until filled
Are you inspired to be part of an organization committed to conserving desert plants and animals around the globe? The Living Desert is a mission-based, non-profit desert conservation organization located in the bio-diverse Coachella Valley California. Our expertise is in desert species care and conservation science to save desert species from extinction. Our commitment to provide guests to The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens opportunities to educate and engage with best-in-class conservation work and how that work is changing outcomes for desert species every day.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION The Guest Services Associate (GSA) will support The Living Desert’s mission of desert conservation through preservation, education, and appreciation by being the face of TLD to the public ensuring each guest has “the best day ever” experience.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
Reporting to the Senior Guest Services Supervisor, the GSA is on the frontline for The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens. The GSA is to be accountable for all funds and transactions that are made during their shift including but not limited to: admissions, memberships, attractions, and refunds. The GSA will also have the chance to inspect and operate various attractions in the park and must adhere to strict OSHA safety regulations. Must be comfortable with handling money and working with guests.
· Be knowledgeable of cash register operations and possess excellent cash management skills.
· Ability to sell and upsell tickets for admission, attractions, and memberships.
· Ability to relate positively with guests, team members, and management.
· Able to deal courteously and effectively with the public at all times, and to represent the institution at the highest standard of professionalism.
· Ability to solve minor guest challenges keeping in mind that guest satisfaction is our primary objective.
· Assist in the daily operations of membership office, issue new & renewal membership cards, selling extra guest passes and other miscellaneous responsibilities as needed.
· Ensure that all policies and procedures of The Living Desert are adhered to.
· Assist with coverage for lunch hours, PTO, sick days, and coverage during Wildlights, Howl-O-Ween and other events and fundraisers.
· Maintain a safe and productive workplace for visitors and staff.
· Able to establish and maintain effective and professional working relations with co-workers and other department personnel, and to do so in accordance with The Living Desert Employee Handbook.
· Perform other similar or related duties as necessary or assigned.
· Contribute to desert conservation through reduction of waste, water and energy use, and inspiring guests and team members to take conservation actions.
· Other related responsibilities as necessary to accomplish department objectives.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The Living Desert is seeking candidates with an outgoing, creative, confident, self-motivated team player who is willing to make a significant commitment to the organization. We are looking for individuals with enthusiasm, strong guest engagement skills, energetic presence, and the ability to work in a fast-paced labor-intensive environment. They must value fun and have prior experience coordinating special events.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
· High School diploma or GED preferred.
· Computer literate.
· At least 1 year of practical experience with cash handling, knowledge of point-of-sale system and working in a busy office a plus.
· Sales and customer service background a plus.
· Exceptional cash register/cash management skills
· Ability to sell and upsell a product/service.
· Ability to relate positively with guests, other team members, and management.
· Ability to resolve and diffuse guest issues in a positive manner.
· Self-motivation and initiative to see things that need to be done and do them.
· Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
· Maintains awareness of safety issues
· Ability to work with others in a team setting
· For vehicle operations - must hold a valid California driver license and be insurable on The Living Desert’s automobile policy
· Standing, walking, bending, twisting, climbing, crawling, kneeling, driving, reaching motions.
· Sitting or standing for long periods of time.
· Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
· Must be able to work in cold or hot weather conditions.
· Will be indoors and outdoors, can vary based upon day. Frequent exposure to extreme temperatures.
· Weekends, holidays, and evening work is required. Some evening work is required during special events and fundraising parties.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
· Employee Assistance Program
· Family membership to The Living Desert
· Retail and food and beverage discounts
· Duration: Seasonal
· Positions available: 17
· Pay: $14.00/hr
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Please complete the electronic application via this link: