Job Title: Maintenance Technician (II)
Grade Levels: 5
Level of Authority: Reports to Maintenance Manager
Summary Technician II: Assists Maintenance Supervisor with small projects. Experience level includes good understanding of principles, controls, and troubleshooting for electrical, lighting and fire systems. Performs daily rounds and responds to radio maintenance support requests. Provides cost-effective and creative solutions for installation or repair challenges. Understands maintenance management ownership and assists Maintenance Manager and Supervisor with improving operational efficiency in these areas:
• Equipment preventive maintenance schedules, job plan tasks, standard operating procedures, and records
• Project management processes
• Emergency shut-off mapping and procedures binder
• Hazardous material containment
• Energy conservation
• Maintenance team emergency response
Specific Tasks (Assignments based on experience and skillsets):
1. Carpentry: Constructs and repairs park and exhibit structures including fences, doors, signs, and custom features; determines materials list; measures, cuts and assembles materials; finishes project with appropriate paint, stain, varnish, or wood sealer; operates power saw, electric drills, screw guns, nail guns, and other hand tools.
2. Welding: Repairs park metal structures and animal exhibit and holding area containment structures and crates. Operates cutting torch, metal cutting saws, electric and gas welders.
3. Masonry: Concrete work for fence and shade cloth poles. May include some stone or brick repairs and small installations. Operates concrete mixer.
4. Electrical: Understands and practices electrical safety. Solicits help from manager, experienced co-workers, or electrical contractors when necessary. Maintains and repairs the following: building and park facility equipment and systems; equipment; lighting; electric motors, pumps, and fan systems; heat lamps; exhibit hot wires; power doors and gates.
5. HVAC: Performs preventive maintenance. filter, belt and pully replacement. Equipment types are primarily package units and air handling systems, to mister systems and swamp coolers.
6. Painting: Prepares surfaces for painting; determines types of paint and finish; applies primer and paint or stain.
7. Plumbing: Maintains, troubleshoots and repairs the following: building and park piping systems; minor water leaks; unclogs drains; faucets; installs/replaces water filters; drinking fountains and animal
drinkers; manages sewage pumping station contract work; coordinates park water distribution repairs with Garden team (excludes landscape irrigation).
8. Operates medium to heavy equipment: forklift, bobcat, tractors, man-lifts, water truck, portable generators.
9. Receiving material: Unloads materials delivered on pallets (note: deliveries average once per day).
10. Mechanical repairs: Animal exhibit and holding area gates, doors and pulley systems.
11. Custom fabrication: Park and exhibit design and repair projects.
12. Vehicle maintenance: Operates and services TLD vehicles and equipment including vans, trucks, cars, electric carts, and other equipment.
13. General labor: Equipment assembly, event preparation and cross-functional team support.
14. Safety: Follows Lock-Out-Tag-Out (LOTO) process; completes required equipment operator training and follows operator safety protocol. Notices and appropriately addresses unsafe conditions following SIN protocol (Safety first, Isolate unsafe area, Notify appropriate level of response to address unsafe condition).
15. Fire systems: Actively participates in regulatory testing; schedules testing with contracted fire system supplier; completes job plan procedures and check sheets; documents and addresses follow-up action items. Works with manager to coordinate PDFD participation as needed. Responds to fire alarm conditions during emergency response; assesses and reports alarm status; silences and resets alarms when instructed by Manager of the Day (MOD), or incident command leader. Follows procedures to communicate and document fire system impairments. Coordinates with contracted fire system supplier to address repairs as needed.
16. Maintains clean and organized work shop and stock room areas.
17. Represents the institution at the highest standard of professionalism and courtesy to others at all times. Makes guests feel welcome.
18. Reads, understands, and follows TLD protocols outlined in the employee handbook.
This class specification should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.
Computer, gas powered vehicles including, electric carts, miscellaneous electric power tools, gas powered and hand tools, electric power and temperature sensing test equipment.
knowledge of maintenance and construction trade terminology, best practices, tools, materials and equipment.
Must be flexible and motivated to learn new skills
Must have strong organizational skills
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
Must be a motivated self-starter requiring minimal supervision
Must have the ability to constructively work with others in a team setting
Conditions of Work:
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Occasional standing, walking, bending, twisting, climbing, crawling, kneeling, reaching motions. Some lifting up to 50 lbs.
DISCOMFORT/RISKS: Occasional exposure to extreme heat, chemicals, and dust/airborne materials. Works with heavy equipment.
HOLIDAY WORK: Holiday, evening and weekend work may be required.
TRAVEL: Conference and workshop attendance available. If funding available, some or all expenses paid.
Qualifications: Minimum of 5 years’ experience in general maintenance work including carpentry, plumbing, electrical and HVAC. Must hold a valid California driver’s license and be insurable on TLD’s automobile insurance policy. Must be energetic with good communication skills and capable of working constructively with others in a team setting.