Job Title: Plant Propagator
Reports to: Curator of Gardens
Supervises: Volunteers, Community Service
Responsible for the propagation and care of plants while at the propagation nursery and for mission driven activities. Responsible for the management of the daily operations and maintenance of the propagation facilities including the greenhouse, propagation nursery, and box tree yards.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Performs daily maintenance duties in the greenhouse and plant propagation areas including composting, fertilizing, planting, pruning, trimming, raking, fertilizing, weed control, watering and plant care, etc., observes and monitors plants to recognize and distinguish problems.
- Coordinates with the Curator of Gardens to plan future plant needs for gardens and exhibits at The Living Desert.
- Coordinates with the Curator of Gardens for plant inventory needed for TLD’s (SSA’s) retail nursery.
- Tracks, labels and updates greenhouse inventory; maintains propagation records.
- Coordinates with other facilities in the acquisition of plants or propagules for the gardens.
- Design and installation of irrigation systems for the greenhouse and growing areas; maintenance and repair of irrigation systems.
- Schedules and supervises propagation work by other garden staff and volunteers.
- Applies herbicides and pesticides where needed.
- Assists Curator of Gardens and Garden Registrar in maintaining plant inventory and records.
- Requisitions supplies and materials needed for greenhouse and propagation areas maintenance.
- Maintains detailed records of propagation techniques and procedures.
- Maintains work areas involving general cleaning duties.
- Provides assistance to other departments as needed.
- Able to effectively and courteously interact with the public at all times and to represent the organization at the highest standard of professionalism.
- Able to establish and maintain effective and professional working relations with co-workers and other department team members and to do so in accordance with The Living Desert Team Member Handbook.
- Contributes to desert conservation through reduction of waste, water and energy use, and inspires guests and team members to take conservation actions.
- Minimum of two years in a propagation and/or production nursery experience.
- A broad knowledge of horticulture/botanical terminology, practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in grounds and park maintenance.
- Knowledge of propagation, greenhouse operations and nursery procedures.
- Pesticide safety and use.
- Must have strong organizational skills
- Ability to record observations
- Ability to give and comprehend written and oral instructions and to accurately carry out such instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Must be an energetic, motivated self-starter who needs minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work with others in a team setting.
- Valid driver license.
- Must be insurable on The Living Desert automobile insurance.
Blower, brooms, chain saw, computer, electric cart, electric soil mixer, gas powered vehicles, phone, picks, power tools, pruners, pry bars, rakes, shovels, two-way radio.
Physical Position Description:
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL TASKS: Standing, walking, bending, lifting, twisting, climbing, crawling, kneeling, reaching motions, lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to extreme heat, chemicals, and dust/airborne materials.
HOLIDAY/EVENING WORK: Weekend and holiday work required. Some evenings may be required during special events.
TRAVEL: Occasional conference and workshop attendance potentially available.
This class specification should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.