Volunteer Support Specialist
Volunteer Support Specialist
Reports to: Curator of Education
We are seeking dynamic and passionate individuals to join the team as full time Volunteer Support Specialists. The primary responsibilities of this position are to conduct and coordinate the training, interpretation, and on-grounds support for volunteers at The Living Desert.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop and deliver high quality on-grounds interpretation and other educational offerings including: ZooCamp, special event activities, and programs
· Conduct daily rounds to assist volunteers with techniques in conservation education by exemplifying quality guest engagement and interpretation
· Able to deal courteously and effectively with the public, and to represent the institution at the highest standard of professionalism.
· Provides daily oversight and support for on-grounds volunteer positions and coordinates with animal care, facilities, and conservation team members
· Teach and coordinate continuing education for volunteers, including daily volunteer brief, education sessions, all volunteer training.
· Operates as back-up staff for daily on-grounds coverage schedule as necessary
· Support Education department as a ZooCamp instructor (winter, spring, summer)
· Handle and present with Zoo Ambassador Animals as necessary for programming
· Attend and participate in regular schedule department and all staff meetings
· Coordinates volunteer schedules for special/seasonal events
· Works with local community partners to schedule and coordinate special projects
· Maintain brand standards in all official appearances and education presentations
· Able to establish and maintain effective and professional working relations with co-workers and other department personnel, and to do so in accordance with The Living Desert Team Member Handbook
· Contributes to desert conservation through reduction of waste, water and energy use, and inspiring guests and team members to take conservation actions
· Perform general office duties, reservations, and research as necessary
· Maintain a safe and clean working environment
· Must be a motivated self-starter who needs minimal supervision
· Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Other related responsibilities as necessary to accomplish department objectives
· Broad knowledge of desert natural history and science is highly desired
· Knowledge of STEAM Curriculum
· Informal and formal teaching and interpretive skills
· Strong interpersonal abilities are required
· Animal handling skills are desired
· Software literate in Microsoft, Word, Excel and Volgistics
· Ability to teach children and adults in non-traditional settings is required
· Good observational skills
· Must have strong organizational skills
· Ability to record observations intelligently
· Ability to give and comprehend written and oral instructions, and to accurately carry out such instructions
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
· Ability to work with others in a team setting
Qualifications: Prefer AA or AS or higher degree in education or a science-related field. Will substitute training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skill, and abilities. Valid California driver license. Must be insurable on The Living Desert's automobile policy. Must be enthusiastic with good communication skills.
Equipment Used: PC computer, general office equipment, telephone, 2-way radio, electric and gas cart, golf vehicles, digital cameras, scanner, audio-visual equipment, camping equipment.
Conditions of Work:
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Sitting, standing, walking, bending, out-of-doors hiking, camping, some lifting to 40 lbs.
DISCOMFORT/RISKS: Occasional exposure to the extremes of the desert environment, i.e. heat and aridity.
HOLIDAY/EVENING WORK: Holiday, evening and weekend work may be required.
TRAVEL: Occasional field trips, workshops, seminars, conferences, & program presentations.
This class specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.