back to full calendar
Desert Tortoise Week
The Living Desert is excited to announce our participation in Desert Tortoise Week! Desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) populations have been on the decline for many years due to habitat loss, climate change, and unnatural raven predation. But, there's still time to protect this species if we do it together. We hope you will join us in our mission to conserve this vital and iconic species! Join in on the virtual celebration of the desert tortoise to learn what actions you can take to help!
October 4 - October 9
- At home craft – post a photo on social media with #DesertTortoiseWeek. Download Craft>>
- Native plant Sale at The Living Desert – selling Native, tortoise-edible plants like prickly pear & globe mallow.
- Tortoise treasure hunt at The Living Desert to win a Time to Talk Trash sticker.
- Collaborative Desert Tortoise Habitat artwork at The Living Desert. Or, download your own personal version to complete at home and post a photo on social media with #DesertTortoiseWeek. Download Craft>>
Thursday, October 7
- We just can't let this one go! In case you missed last year's ‘Tortoise Talk’ Live Panel with local leaders in tortoise conservation. Watch Now>>
Adopt a Tortoise
- You can help us save Desert Tortoise and other species from extinction by supporting The Living Desert’s conservation efforts through the symbolic adoption program. Together we can save and protect wildlife around the world. Adopt Now>>
Desert Tortoise Resources
- Here we offer information about our Time to Talk Trash campaign, our tortoise rehabilitation program, and various educator resources. Learn More>>