Job Title: Attraction Operator (Shuttle Driver, Carousel Operator, Giraffe Cashier, Seasonal Attractions)
Department: Park Services
Exemption: Non-exempt – part time or seasonal
Level of Authority: Reports to: Attractions and Tours Manager
Shuttle visitors, driving an electric 7, 11 to 13 passenger tram vehicles, to and from pre-determined points on grounds, sell shuttle tickets as needed. Provide good customer service to all visitors.
Inspect and operate the carousel ride and adhering to strict OSHA safety regulations. Sell tickets for giraffe feeding and seasons attractions.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of The Living Desert’s habitats, philosophy and future.
- Drives a 7, 11 to 13 passenger trams up to 6 hours or longer.
- Completes The Living Desert training for driving shuttles and golf cart certification.
- Completes The Living Desert training for safe cash handling and accounting procedures.
- Provides good customer service to all visitors on grounds.
- Completes training on 2-way radios used on grounds.
- Is familiar with The Living Desert’s emergency procedures.
- Operates the tram in a safe manor and be aware of safety issues at all times.
- Reports equipment problems immediately to the Shuttle and Tours coordinator.
- Cleans and prepares shuttle before staring shuttle service.
- Performs a visual inspection of the vehicle before starting shuttle service.
- Communicates to the tram coordinator any problems that exist with the shuttle or speaker system.
- Completes the safe operating of the carousel training required by OSHA with a certified Living Desert staff member.
- Operates the carousel in a safe manner as required by OSHA guidelines at all times.
- Insures that all height requirements are followed according to the Dept of Labor guidelines for Carousel.
- Maintains a high level of awareness of guests riding carousel.
- Completes the Carousel Report if a problem exists with the carousel or speaker system.
- Maintain a minimum of a 4.5-star rating on TripAdvisor.
- Provides assistance to other departments as needed.
- Other related responsibilities as necessary to accomplish department objectives.
This class specification should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.
Equipment Used: Microphone, two-way radio, 11 to 13 passenger electric tram, and 2 to 7 passenger golf carts, carousel, Galaxy POS system.
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to handle cash
- Must be able to focus on safe driving procedures/ operating procedures while keeping a time schedule
- Ability to operate the Carousel in a safe manner and within the OSHA guidelines.
- Ability to operate a tram/shuttle in a safe manner.
Conditions of Work:
Physical Effort: Must be in good physical condition, strong upper body to be able to maneuver the electric trams and stand for long periods of time
Discomfort/Risks: Moderate, working outside for long periods of time in sometimes-high temperatures
Holiday/Evening Work: Required
Travel: Not normally necessary
Qualifications: Educational: Living Desert volunteer training a plus, High School Diploma
Work Experience: Good driving skills and current driver’s license required. Sales and customer service background a plus