The Living Desert Zoo & Gardens in Palm Desert, CA, is conducting a nationwide search to fill the key role of Exhibit Curator. We are looking for an energetic and enthusiastic professional who values conservation education to initiate, lead and manage all aspects of exhibitry development at The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens.
The Exhibit Curator will coordinate with other internal teams including maintenance, animal care, and park services to provide mission-based guest experiences. A new Master Plan provides guidance and inspiration as we develop the conservation facility of the future.
Important duties and responsibilities associated with this position include:
- Use a guest-centered approach to design, fabricate and maintain all zoo animal and botanical habitats, educational exhibits and public engagement spaces.
- Supervise outside contractors and designers in the implementation of projects including budget, scheduling, and quality monitoring.
- Prepare concept sketches, computer renderings and other visual communication techniques to coordinate inputs from multiple stakeholders and support fundraising and external messaging
- Ability to utilize a wide variety materials and construction techniques including carpentry, masonry, gunite, and fiberglass to fabricate exhibitry elements.
- The use of design tools such as Auto CAD, Revit, Sketch Up, Adobe and Microsoft products to build 3D models and manage project workflow.
- Knowledge of graphic production and design techniques.
The ideal candidate will have experience in leading and working with a team and exceeding expectations. They will be highly adaptable and a forward thinker, building an environment that enables the best way of working. The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree (or higher) with coursework in exhibit design, architecture, applied arts or a closely related curriculum, as well as a minimum of five years applicable experience. Must hold or obtain a valid California driver’s license and be insurable under The Living Desert’s automobile policy.
ABOUT THE LIVING DESERT: The Living Desert is a 48-year old conservation organization located in the heart of the Coachella Valley in Southern California. With the cities of Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, and Indio among those within the market area. Having the mission of desert conservation through preservation, education, and appreciation, the organization welcomes more than 420,000 visitors annually to the zoo and botanical gardens. The Living Desert operates with a budget of more than $11.5 million and is governed by a Board of Directors and accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. For more information visit www.livingdesert.org.
Please submit a resume and three professional references to HR@LivingDesert.org. Mail to The Living Desert, 47900 Portola Ave., Palm Desert, CA 92260.