The Living Desert
Job Title: Marketing Assistant
Department: Park Services
Reports to: Marketing and Public Relations Manager
Position Summary: The Marketing Assistant under the direction of the Senior Manager, Marketing and Public Relations is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of marketing materials and strategies for The Living Desert. This role is responsible for providing project management and administrative support to the marketing team, written communications, as well as guest service functions. This position will assist in the planning and execution of marketing activities, maintain financial accountability, and increase customer satisfaction.
Support the Zoo in its mission “to support desert conservation through preservation, education and appreciation.” Help the Zoo achieve a forward-thinking vision of a modern zoo and inclusive culture.
- Act as the traffic coordinator for all work orders submitted to the marketing and PR department from concept and development through production to completion. Utilize and update existing project management software to traffic and complete requests and projects. Process all work orders submitted to the marketing department in a timely manner and communicate with internal teams concerning work flow and timelines. Develop and maintain a visible work log, schedule, and status reports.
- Build strong relationships with print and production vendors and obtain quotations/bids for projects from vendors and suppliers and negotiate on behalf of the organization.
- Use existing brand standards and established approved conventions as agreed to by the institution for the creation of new marketing materials and content.
- Maintain the zoo's brand and voice across all communication channels.
- Assist in the creation, editing, production, and distribution of the member magazine, and other materials, as needed.
- Receive, organize and grant community donation requests in a timely manner according to set policies and procedures.
- Monitor and respond to reviews, feedback, and other forms of communication of traveler review sites including TripAdvisor, Yelp, Google, etc.
- Assist in the development, administration and analyzation of visitor surveys.
- Assist the Senior Manager, Marketing and Public Relations with on-site media, interviews, film and photo crews.
- Maintain and continuously organize the zoo’s photo database, creating media kits and photo libraries, as assigned.
- Develop and draft compelling, engaging and creative content for use across numerous platforms including social media, website, and blog postings.
- As assigned, photograph various park assets including animals, gardens, events, guest interactions, etc on a regular basis.
- Serve as zoo ambassador for community events as assigned.
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Park Services, Senior Manager, Marketing and Public Relations, and Digital Brand Manager, as needed.
- Order materials and supplies where needed.
- Operate in-house print machinery to finalize production of projects including printers, paper cutters, paper folders, laminator, mounting equipment, etc.
- All other duties, as assigned. The specific tasks outlined are not all-inclusive, but rather it is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of the job. The employee may be requested to perform other job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.
Applicant must be an energetic team player with exceptional communication (both verbal and written), relationship-building and time management skills. Applicant must be highly organized, outgoing, collaborative, a self-starter, able to manage and complete multiple projects and work well under tight deadlines with limited supervision. Applicant must have strong attention to detail and ensure quality, accurate work is completed.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Minimum 2-year college or secondary education in English, business, marketing, communications or related field. Preferred 4-year secondary education.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: 1-3 years.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Proficiency in all design software, excellent communication, organization, and time management skills.
OTHER: Must hold valid California Driver License and be insurable on The Living Desert’s auto policy.
Equipment Used: PC computer, general office equipment, photography equipment, scanner, printer, telephone, 2-way radio, electric golf cart, large format printer, paper cutter, paper folder, laminator, among others.
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Savvy in digital/social media, with an interest in online community engagement
- Basic photography and operation of DSLR camera and basic video equipment
- Willingness to work as a team member, including supporting events execution, working evenings, holidays and weekends as needed.
- Excellent computer skills, with above-average aptitude with Office suite: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Proficient in operating printing and production equipment
- Strong attention to detail
- Basic knowledge of PR monitoring programs and Adobe Creative Suite, a bonus.
Physical Position Description:
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL TASKS: Occasional standing, walking, bending, twisting, some lifting up to 50 lbs. Safely operating print and production machinery.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Primarily an office environment, occasionally on-grounds.
HOLIDAY/EVENING WORK: Occasional Holiday and evening work.
TRAVEL: Occasional travel to vendors and suppliers.
All interested individuals should submit their resume, three examples of their creative work, and brief cover letter to the Senior Manager, Brand, Marketing, and Public Relations, Erin Scott at .