Job Title: Guest Services Associate (GSA)
Department: Park Services
Reports to: Senior Guest Services Supervisor
The GSA is on the frontline staff for The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens. The GSA is to be accountable for all funds and transactions that are made during their shift including but not limited to: admissions, memberships, attractions, and refunds. The GSA will also have the chance to inspect and operate various attractions in the park and must adhere to strict OSHA safety regulations. Must be comfortable with handling money and working with guests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be knowledgeable of cash register operations and possess excellent cash management skills.
- Ability to sell and upsell tickets for admission, attractions, and memberships.
- Ability to relate positively with guests, employees, and management.
- Able to deal courteously and effectively with the public at all times, and to represent the institution at the highest standard of professionalism.
- Ability to solve minor guest challenges keeping in mind that guest satisfaction is our primary objective.
- Assist in the daily operations of membership office, issue new & renewal membership cards, selling extra guest passes and other miscellaneous responsibilities as needed.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures of The Living Desert are adhered to.
- Assist with coverage for lunch hours, PTO, sick days, and coverage during Wildlights, Howl-O-Ween and other events and fundraisers.
- Maintain a safe and productive workplace for visitors and staff.
- Able to establish and maintain effective and professional working relations with co-workers and other department personnel, and to do so in accordance with The Living Desert Employee Handbook.
- Perform other similar or related duties as necessary or assigned.
- Contributes to desert conservation through reduction of waste, water and energy use, and inspiring guests and team members to take conservation actions.
- Exceptional cash register/cash management skills
- Ability to sell and upsell a product/service.
- Ability to relate positively with guests, other employees, and management.
- Ability to resolve and diffuse guest issues in a positive manner.
- Self-motivation and initiative to see things that need to be done and do them.
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Maintains awareness of safety issues
- Ability to work with others in a team setting.
EDUCATION AND PRE-REQUISITES
High School diploma or GED preferred. Computer literate. At least 1 year of practical experience with cash handling, knowledge of point-of-sale system and working in a busy office a plus. Sales and customer service background a plus. For vehicle operations- good driving skills and current driver’s license required.
CONDITIONS OF WORK
Physical Effort: Standing, walking, bending, twisting, climbing, crawling, kneeling, driving, reaching motions. Sitting or standing for long periods of time. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs. Must be able to work in cold or hot weather conditions. Will be indoors and outdoors, can vary based upon day. Frequent exposure to extreme temperatures.
Holiday Work: Weekends, holidays, and evening work is required. Some evening work is required during special events and fundraising parties.
- Credit Card Terminal
- 9 key adding machine/calculator.
- Computer / Point of Sale Program
- 2-way radio
- Microsoft Office
- 2 to 7 passenger golf carts
This class specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities of this job. The clerk may be requested to perform job-related activities and tasks other than those stated in this description.
***THE DURATION OF THIS POSITION IS A 5 WEEK PERIOD***